July 22, 2014
USA: George Carlin Gets Manhattan Street Named In His Honor, After Compromise With Catholic Church :)
Posted by Princess Mononoke at 9:09 PM
“Originally charged with prostitution, a misdemeanor, in late June, Antionette L. Clark now faces the felony of knowingly being infected with HIV while performing the act of prostitution after prosecutors amended the case this week. Columbia resident Clark was arrested June 19 at a hotel in the 900 block of Port Way in east Columbia during an undercover operation.”
“I think that overall people living with HIV are responsible and are taking precautions to protect their own health from other issues and also to protect the health of people around them.”
Posted by Princess Mononoke at 8:59 PM
USA: Violent Weekend, 40 Shot, 4 Killed In Chicago By Street Gangs Including 11-Year-Old, Shamiya Adams. Chicago Has Strictest Gun Control Laws In America.
Posted by Princess Mononoke at 8:12 PM
USA: Michigan Toddler Shot Point Blank In Face, Neighbors Respond In Outrage Claiming It Violated The ‘Code Of The Streets’. Michigan Has Strict Gun Control Laws.
“This Inkster, stuff like this happens all the time, but not to kids. Not the babies. It don’t make sense because her daddy is loved by everybody.”
“He shot the baby. I thought, no, he didn’t. And then he turned the gun and started shooting the porch.”
“We’re talking about a senseless murder. A guy with no morals. The innocent shouldn’t have to pay for our suffering.”
“People are just shooting because they don’t know how to do anything else”On a positive note, Chelsea Lancaster’s family stated that although she was shot in the leg and stomach, her surgery went well and she is not paralyzed. Her grandmother, Porcia Holt, said:“She woke up, opened her yes and squeezes her mom’s hand”
Posted by Princess Mononoke at 7:53 PM
Posted by Princess Mononoke at 12:17 AM
July 21, 2014
USA: California State Senator Representing Montebello, Democrat Ron Calderon, Indicted On Two Dozen Counts Of Bribery, Fraud, Money Laundering And Other Charges.
Ron Calderon was elected to the 30th Senate District, which includes: Bell, Bell Gardens, Commerce, Cudahy, Huntington Park, La Mirada, Los Angeles, Montebello, Norwalk, Pico Rivera, California, Santa Fe Springs, South El Monte, South Gate, Whittier, East La Mirada, East Los Angeles, Florence-Graham, Hacienda Heights, South Whittier, and West Whittier.[source: wikipedia]
In November, Calderon was removed from the board of the Latino Caucus and from his legislative committee assignments by his colleagues because of the investigation.
If convicted at trial, Ron Calderon, who also faces tax fraud charges, could face a statutory maximum of nearly 400 years in prison, although federal sentencing guidelines typically call for much less time. Tom Calderon could face a maximum of 160 years behind bars.
Posted by Princess Mononoke at 4:10 PM
USA: CA State Senate Democrats Blocked A Republican Bill That Proposed Some Of The Toughest Ethics And Campaign Finance Restrictions.
Posted by Princess Mononoke at 3:17 PM
Posted by Princess Mononoke at 3:16 PM
USA: California State Senator Roderick D. Wright, A Fixture In Area Democratic Politics, Found Guilty On 8 Felony Counts Of Perjury And Voter Fraud.
Posted by Princess Mononoke at 2:33 PM
USA: What If Ray Nagin Had Never Been Elected Mayor Of New Orleans? Excellent Piece. He Sounds Like President Obama.
Posted by Princess Mononoke at 1:26 PM
USA: Ray Nagin Indictment Detailed: First New Orleans Mayor Sentenced To 10 Years In Federal Prison On Massive Corruption Charges
- Accepting $50,000 and "numerous truckloads" of free granite from Frank Fradella, the former chief executive of Home Solutions of America, a now-defunct firm that specialized in disaster recovery. The cash bribe was routed through Michael McGrath, a Home Solutions board member, to disguise it, the indictment says. McGrath is now serving a 14-year prison term for bank fraud. Home Solutions received numerous contracts from the city and other local government entities after Hurricane Katrina; Fradella had been angling for a much bigger redevelopment deal, but he never got it. The indictment charges that Nagin "met with investors" from HSOA's board and "pledged his support for Fradella's business interests" with the city. In addition to the $50,000 bribe, Fradella also made nine monthly payments of $12,500 to Nagin, totaling $112,500, after Nagin left office, the indictment says. The document lists each of those payments as a count of wire fraud.
- Accepting $72,500 in bribes, paid by cash and check, from Rodney Williams, the founder of Three Fold Consultants, a local engineering firm. To give the bribes a veneer of legitimacy, Williams formed a sham company, BRT Investments, that was granted a 4.5-percent stake in the Nagin family's granite firm, the document says. Three Fold -- which has severed its affiliation with Williams -- received numerous no-bid design and engineering contracts from the city during Nagin's last few years in office.
- Using his political stroke to help kill a "community benefits agreement" that would have required Home Depot to hire a certain number of residents from the surrounding neighborhood, and pay them above-market rates, at the retailer's new Central City store. The indictment charges that in return for mayor's help, the Nagin family's granite firm -- Stone Age LLC -- received a "coveted" contract to be the exclusive granite installer for four Home Depot stores in the New Orleans area. The indictment does not name Home Depot, referring to the company as "major retail corporation."
- Allowing technology vendor Mark St. Pierre, who had a substantial no-bid contract with the city, to pay for the Nagin family's lodging and other expenses on a trip to Hawaii in December 2004 and January 2005, and then to cover first-class airfare for a family trip to Jamaica in October 2005. After the Hawaii trip, St. Pierre began paying for cell phones for members of the Nagin family, the indictment says. In 2006, St. Pierre hosted a campaign fund-raiser in Chicago at which Nagin received "concealed and direct" contributions.
- Helping the owner of a movie theater in eastern New Orleans, listed in the document as "Businessman A," get out of delinquent tax and loan payments to the city. The amount of the debt is not specified. In return, the businessman spent $23,500 to send the Nagin family to New York City by private jet and limousine, the indictment says. The money was routed through a third party to hide the source, prosecutors allege.
- Releasing misleading or false public records on at least three occasions. The indictment says Nagin in February 2009 released a version of his public calendar that hid "his relationship with co-conspirators," including Fradella. In addition, it says he filed at least two sworn affidavits with the state Board of Ethics that did not dlsclose anyone outside the Nagin family had a stake in Stone Age, and also did not disclose Stone Age's dealings with Williams, Fradella and McGrath.
- Failing to report the income he received from bribes in the calendar years 2005-2008.
Posted by Princess Mononoke at 1:19 PM
USA: Ray Nagin, Former 2-Term Democratic Mayor Of New Orleans, Sentenced To 10 Years In Federal Prison On 20 Criminal Counts, Massive Corruption During Hurricane Katrina.
In New Orleans, a 10-year sentence for Ray Nagin
written by Janet McConnaughey, AP
Thursday July 10, 2014
Posted by Princess Mononoke at 12:23 PM